Diplomatic relations between Thailand and India were established on August 1st , 1947 through the exchange of envoy in the capital of each nation. From 3rd of October 1951, the representation has been elevated to ambassadorial level.
A building, located on No. 15 Auransave Road, New Delhi, was rented by a private owner to become the Royal Thai Embassy. The monthly rent was 851 rupees and 11 annas. Later, the Indian Government allocated unoccupied, deserted, barren sand-stones lands for leasing to various foreign Governments in order to build their embassies with public utilities.